Please note CIRC Winter 2022 was cancelled. This page details the main Summer event which is still planned for August 2022!
Welcome to the 2022 Canadian International Rover Challenge! We are pleased to offer our fifth summer competition in the badlands of Alberta Canada. This unique and exciting landscape is an ideal environment for university space and robotics teams to showcase their rovers. As few teams were able to attend in 2021 due to COVID-19 restrictions, many of the newly developed tasks will be retained so teams will be able to experience the exciting challeges planned for 2020/2021.
This event is great for both teams and the public to enjoy. Our collaborative event center gives your team a spot to work on your rover, and to engage with teams from around the world.
August 12-15, 2022
Drumheller, Alberta, Canada
Apply to Participate
Participlants will be selected through an application process. To begin, submit the Expression of Interest form at the Get Involved page.
Rules and Regulations
- 2022 Competition Rules
- 2022 Autonomy Guidelines
- 2022 Rover Safety Guidelines
- Covid-19 Safety Precaution Measures (2021)
Changes Since CIRC 2019 and 2021
Based on feedback and what we’ve learned from the 2019 and 2021 competition, we’ve made a number of changes that will be appiled to the 2022 Summer event:
- Changes continuing from 2021
- We’ve clarified that rovers must be able to operate in the rain, and we don’t promise any accommodations due to weather. It is impossible to adjust scheduling around weather as the competition grows, and providing alternative tasks cannot be made fair from a scoring perspective.
- We’ve brought forward our safety reporting deadlines and clarified that you can request a partial evaluation at any time.
- The penalty for being over the mass limit has been reduced to align with the bonus for being under mass. A hard limit of 70kg still applies.
- Our livestream is expanding this year to cover all of our tasks. Expect your team to be filmed and streamed while at CIRC Central, in the field at tasks, and in the operations trailers. We have reserved additional channels of the 5GHz Wi-Fi spectrum to accommodate this expansion.
- New changes since 2021