The Canadian International Rover Challenge is looking for volunteers for the 2024 Winter and Summer Competitions in Niagara Falls, Ontario (February 23-24 2024) and Drumheller, Alberta (August 9-12 2024). In order to make this event a success, we require many volunteers to assist with running the event.
Volunteering gives you a chance to get up close and personal with world class robots in the stunning surroundings of the Alberta Badlands.
Requirements and Conditions of Volunteer Participation
- You are responsible for making your own travel arrangements to and from Drumheller, Alberta (carpooling may be available depending on your location).
- You are responsible for your own lodging, meals and any other expenses (CSTAG aims to provide some discounts or benefits for volunteers but can’t commit to anything at this time. We will share this information as they are confirmed.)
- By signing up to volunteer you are acknowledging and consenting that photography, film and/or video, from the event, may be taken and you further agree that any or all of the material may be used for promotion, publications, and other materials used to promote CIRC and that such use shall be without payment of fees, royalties, special credit or other compensation.
- By signing up to volunteer you are specifically releasing CIRC, CSTAG, its volunteers, agents and staff from any claims or liabilities of any kind whatsoever, arising from or related to my participation in these activities.
Competition Task Volunteers
There are five different tasks at the Canadian International Rover Challenge. We will try to accommodate your preference for which task you would like to volunteer at. No specific skills or equipment are required.
Task volunteers may be asked to do any or all of the following:
- Act as a judge for the task under the supervision of an event organizer
- Facilitate team movements around the task site
- Interact with the public and media
- Manage the live stream equipment
- Capture videos and photos of the event
- In the case of an emergency, take charge until the appropriate emergency personnel are on site
- Transport any task related equipment
- Set up any task related equipment and the task base (tent, tables, chairs, etc.)
- Further information about the tasks is pending announcement.
2024 Competition Tasks
To Be Announced
CIRC Central Hub Supervisors
CIRC Central is an indoor hub where all the teams have a space to work and is open to visitors from the public. Skills and Equipment Required: The willingness to speak to the public and media.
General responsibilities of those volunteering in the central facility will include:
- Monitoring that participants are using the facilities appropriately
- Only allowing participants into the building overnight
- Ensuring cold drinking water is available to teams
- Answering any questions participants have
- Interaction with the public and media
To support the various task sites, drivers are needed to:
- Bring food to volunteers at the task sites
- Bring water and ice refills to the individual stations
- Transport volunteers, sponsors, or equipment between task sites
Skills & Equipment Required: Your own vehicle; proof of a valid driver’s license and insurance are required. Fuel costs incurred while volunteering in this role will be reimbursed.
There will be a large amount of activity and excitement throughout the weekend. As such we hope to capture photos and videos of the event. We are looking for individuals that would enjoy taking photos, video, and helping out with the event live stream.
Skills & Equipment Required: digital camera, phone and/or video camera. A good eye for a great image.
Many other tasks will need doing throughout the weekend, including setup and takedown of event infrastructure, running last-minute errands, or covering for other volunteers when they need a break. Sign up for this role to help out wherever you’re needed most.
Skills and Requirements: flexible and adaptable, willing to pitch in as needed.